OK, I've made some predictions and selections, now I've thought of my ideal alternative shortlist. Please note that I'm actually pleased at the nominations for Amy Winehouse and Basquiat Strings, but I didn't want this list to overlap in any way with the official one, so neither are included here. Also, I don't go for tokenism, so I haven't restricted myself to one jazz entry.
1.Broken Family Band - Hello Love (superior guitar based indie-pop - only those completely ignorant of musical history would take The View over this gem).
2.Fraud - Fraud (very impressive debut, some gritty improv and hard riffing)
3.Finn Peters - Su-Ling (deliciously swinging)
4.Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur (atmospheric, subtle, evocative)
5. Dani Siciliano - Slappers (inventive production, clever songs)
6. Alasdair Roberts - The Amber Gatherers (warm and affecting Scottish folk)
7. Xela - The Dead Sea (innovative use of sound and texture, very striking, disturbing in places)
8. Jeremy Warmsley - The Art Of Fiction (independent, bedroom-produced pop)
9. Curios - Hidden (The Art of the Trio)
10.Ryan Teague - Coins and Crosses (intriguing mix of very early and very contemporary influences, passed me by last September unfortunately)
11.The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home (more superior indie-pop)
12. Kode 9 and Spaceape - Memories of the Future (intoxicating, strange, disorientating, dubby)